FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Answers for You
HOW MUCH IS A PRACTICAL TEST?
Practical test cost will be emailed to each Applicant upon confirmation of test date. Cost is typically $800-$950 depending on type of test and location.
Admin issuance (validation for foreign based, Milcomp, Ground Instructor, etc): $150
Note: Cash is the only acceptable form of payment
HOW MUCH IS A RETEST IF I AM DISAPPROVED FOR A TEST?
Retest from a prior Disapproval from me:
Oral retest and flight: full cost of original practical test
Flight retest only: half cost of original practical test
Retest from another Examiner will be provided upon test date confirmation, cost depends on number of ACS tasks remaining. Typically $600-$800.
WHAT IS YOUR POLICY ON A DISCONTUANCE?
If our practical test is discontinued because of weather, maintenance or any other reasonable case beyond your control, there is no charge to reschedule and fly. The checkride fee that is initially charged is non-refundable once the test starts. This fee is not only for the practical test, but covers the administrative time required to coordinate the practical test, our time to develop the Plan of Action for the Applicant, our time to obtain pre-approval from the FAA to conduct the test, and our time to complete all required paperwork due to the FAA after our meeting(s).
Discontinuances for reasons within your control (sleep, not feeling prepared, work schedule, not checking NOTAMs for closures, etc) are normally charged $100/hr for whatever tasks remain (up to 5 hrs/$500 maximum).
WHAT ARE YOUR RULES FOR THE PRACTICAL TEST?
I will conduct the FAA Practical Test following the applicable PTS/ACS.
I will be utilizing a Plan of Action as a guideline to ensure a complete test.
Perfection is not the standard. Proficiency, Safety & Good Judgment!
Digital charts are allowed to be used. During the "Navigation" and "Diversion" task on Private and Commercial checkrides, the GPS must be turned off to disable location services. They may be turned back on after the "Navigation" and "Diversion" tasks.
Paper navigation logs are preferred. Digital navigation logs are allowed, but be prepared to discuss how the navigation log numbers were derived.
Please answer questions as if you hold the certificate and/or rating sought.
Communication is important; I want to avoid any misunderstanding!
IS THERE A FEE IF A PAPER APPLICATION MUST BE USED?
There is a $150 fee for paper processing of an 8710 in the event that IACRA can not be used. IACRA will be used at the fullest extent possible to avoid application errors and delays in receiving your permanent pilot certificate.
WHAT IS YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY?
There is no fee for cancelling a test at least 48 hours prior to test day. There is an $400 non-refundable fee for cancellations within 48 hours of the test (for situations within Applicant control/responsibility). Cancellation examples include disqualification for test due to CFI, Flight School or Applicant errors. Specific examples that have occurred very recently:
- Not having original pilot cert, medical and government issued photo ID on test day.
- Applicant not verifying ahead of time that the current aircraft inspection status can be located in the aircraft logbooks. AD compliance is also required. Blanket "All AD's complied with" is not an acceptable way to verify AD compliance, see the Easter-Precision interpretation.
- Applicant not meeting minimum experience requirements for the rating sought. PLEASE ensure you meet the minimum experience requirements prior to test day! I offer a free pre-screening service to ensure eligibility. Simply email me pics of your endorsements and logbooks ground/flight entries.
-Endorsements: I can not conduct tests for Applicants that did not have proper solo endorsements prior to flying their solos. An example would be flying a cross-country solo without the proper endorsement given on solo day. Another example would be soloing outside of your 90-day solo window. Any solo's conducted without having had a valid 90-day solo can not be accepted.
- Instrument time for Private Pilots: The 3 hours required towards the PPL rating must be done in an airplane. Approved simulators may be used towards your total hour requirements, but can not be used to meet the 3 hours of instrument time requirement.
- 250 nm Instrument CCX for the Instrument Rating: you must land at the airport that you are flying too. If you conduct a missed approach then return to your home-field on an "out-and-in", this CCX will not count due to not landing.
FEE'S FOR NON-LOCAL CHECKRIDES
- I conduct practical tests with no travel fee's for airports within 50 miles of Jacksonville, Florida.
- For Applicants greater than 50 miles from Jax, it is preferable for Applicants to fly to Herlong airpot (KHEG) for practical tests.
- If Applicants wish to test at their home airport and that airport is greater than 50 miles from KHEG, I will fly to that airport on a case-by-case basis with prior coordination. $1.00 per mile charge will be added to the checkride fee and can be shared if there is more than one Applicant. If overnight stays are required, all travel expenses will be charged. Note: weather, sickness, maintenance, etc can not be predicted, scheduling non-local practical tests are at your own risk and may have be cancelled for unforeseen circumstances.